- 1/4 C minced sweet onion (Walla Walla or similar)
- 1 Tsp. Fresh Thyme leaves or chopped Thyme tips
- 1 clove of garlic peeled
- 1/2 C. White Wine – medium dry
- 12 Oz of large dry scallops or the closest even number (8 in this dish)
- 1 Tbl each Olive Oil and Butter
- Penzey’s Northwoods Fire spice mix or the mix below
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Mince the onion and either pick the thyme leaves or chop the thyme tips. Lightly dust the scallops with the Penzey’s Northwoods Fire mix or lightly dust with chili powder, smoked paprika, dried thyme, salt and pepper. Heat a 12″ non-stick pan over medium high heat. Add olive oil and butter and heat until butter stops foaming and turns lightly brown.
Add the scallops and the whole garlic clove to the pan but do not crowd the pan. Let the scallops sear on one side for 3 minutes. Turn the scallops and add the thyme and onion. Stir the thyme and onion into the oil. Let the scallops sear for 2 to 3 more minutes then remove to a warm plate.
Add the white wine and turn the heat up to high. Scrape all the brown bits off the pan and stir while you reduce the wine by half
Plate the scallops. Taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if needed. Pour the sauce over the scallops.